The Importance of Feeling Safe in Order to be Fully Present, Peaceful, and Live your Healthiest Life
Feeling safe, stable, and secure is fundamental to our wellbeing.
By Vered Ron, Bond member and certified health coach and personal trainer
Feeling Inner Safety
Feeling Inner Safety means feeling that we are safe of not being harmed mentally or physically. When we feel safe, we find it easier to reach peace-of-mind and focus on the present.
Why is Being Present and Practicing Mindfulness so Important?
Let’s start with some definitions. What does it mean to be fully present? Being present means that you are fully aware and mindful of your current environment. And mindfulness? Mindfulness is a state of active and intentional attention to the current moment/activity.
You probably heard it before: it’s important to live in the present moment. Sometimes we get caught up in thoughts about the past and future too much, focusing on “what would happen, ‘if’” or, “what could have happened, ‘if.’”
Being present and practicing mindfulness is key for a healthy mind and body. This practice helps us fight stress, anxiety, and stay grounded and balanced. Practicing a mindful lifestyle is also crucial for reaching peak performance in your everyday life as well as creating long-lasting and successful relationships. Above all, it is extremely hard to find fulfillment and happiness without mindfulness. The opposite of being present is when we’re in the office but are dreaming about being on vacation, and when we’re on vacation, we are thinking about our job, and what needs to be done when we get back home. This state of mind is not only unhealthy but also never satisfies our needs and search for happiness.
A Strong Sense of Safety Can Dramatically Help Us Stop Overthinking and Worrying too Much
Without inner peace and a sense of personal safety, we can’t really thrive and fully enjoy the moment. We wouldn’t stop worrying and overthinking what could happen if we won’t meet that level of safety self-assurance. Also, we need to know that our family and loved ones are safe in order to be able to let go (when I was growing up, I remember my mom saying she couldn’t really fall asleep until I got back home when I was out with friends at night).
Why is feeling safe important? And how does it differ from being safe?
Being safe is the state of being protected from harm or other non-desirable outcomes. Feeling safe, which is also called psychological safety, means being self-assured that we are not in danger. Having a sense of well-being can’t fully happen if we don’t feel safe first. A lack of psychological safety is a major trigger for many of our unwanted emotions as fear and anxiety, which can really block the pursuit of a healthy and calm mind.
Try to notice how your body responds when you start to feel unsafe. You may feel like your heart is racing, you might feel like you are losing control, or even going into a full panic attack. The reality is that most of the time we are not in real threatening danger, and those reactions are only a sensation created by how our minds perceive the environment to be.
Tips to Strengthen Your Personal Feeling of Safety:
- Don’t deny your feelings. Awareness is key. If you feel unsafe, afraid, or anxious, don’t try to fight these feelings. Don’t try to convince yourself you are not scared or anxious, instead, accept and calmly plan how you can shift away from those feelings.
- When you feel unsafe, speak with someone, seek support, don’t keep your thoughts to yourself. A human voice can help you calm down, organize your thoughts, and think more clearly on an action plan.
Bond Services to help live your healthiest, safest and most mindful life:
Tips to Strengthen Your Sense of Safety for Your Loved Ones:
- Make a note to check up on your family as often as you need to feel that they are safe and secure. You can even set up a virtual check-in on your loved ones at a specific time and frequency you choose through the Bond app!
- Check your kids’ location when they walk back home at night (you can do that using the Bond location services). With that being said, don’t stare at your phone until they come home, be mindful of your time and check on them periodically, or just set up Bond’s location notification feature to get notified when they leave their location and reach their destination.
- Make sure your loved ones have someone to reach out to who can help in case they run into trouble. You can also make sure they know how to use the Bond app and they will have access to a 24/7 personal security agent available to assist.
As a certified health coach that lives in the busiest city of the world, I always emphasize to my clients how important it is to work on their daily stress levels in order to see health improvements. Mental calmness is the foundation of a healthy body.
Once you figure out what helps you reclaim your sense of peacefulness, remember to always go back to those tactics and know that you can put your mind to rest. Eliminating stress and focusing on the present moment are the foundations for a healthy mind and body.
— Vered Ron
Certified health coach and personal trainer
Are you ready to live your healthiest life?
Download Bond from the App Store
Download Bond from Google Play